Thursday, November 21, 2013

In Memory of Stevie D

2013 has been a year of much sadness and reflection. My brother, Stephan, died in June 2013 - only 54 years old! The trip home to Zimbabwe for his memorial service was filled with so many highs and lows. I felt challenged on so many emotional levels to put his death into perspective - anger, sorrow, regret, bitterness and on the other side of the spectrum, proud to see his handiwork -a pizza oven he built, his processed meats at the butchery where he worked, a dam he built and elephants that he had personally trained to perform a salute, and which ended up saluting him at his memorial service on the banks of the Zambesi River.
In the end I chose to lay it all at the foot of our Lord - all that matters is if my brother is resting safely with Him! I cherish his memory and live in the hope of meeting Stevie D again.

 
I came home and wrestled to find some purpose and meaning in my life again. I have found that just going through with the motions helps - eventually the good-feeling emotions seem to fall in line with the motions, and there is peace and equilibrium in my life again. My first challenge was to finish all those half-finished projects that were waiting in the wings - ie. the linen shirt that I had started making for my youngest brother in Australia in February already! Have you ever! Five months to make a shirt - really??
I packaged it with a small piece of sample fabric should the colour not be suitable, and if my sister-in-law wanted to try her hand at dyeing.
 
 
Then two weeks ago I faced up to my lack of get-up-and-go and challenged myself and a shop assistant at my favourite fabric store that the linen fabric I bought had to morph into a finished product within three weeks, or I was going to hang up my scissors and pack away my sewing machines. The mere thought terrified the heck out of me! I got going on a miserable Friday afternoon and traced out the pattern. The challenge was great - an aching back from falling down the stairs at work a week earlier, had me clutching and groaning, but I persevered. I cut the fabric out the next morning. So the process was going to be staggered and sporadic, but it was better than nothing. I call it my "Now or Never" dress.
 

 
It is made from Irish linen and fully lined with a cotton voile. The lining is only attached to the dress at the neck band as  I didn't want there to be any strain on the fragile voile. So the lining opening at the zip has simply been left open and the seam stitched down on itself.
 
 
It took a few hours of an evening to get the invisible zip looking invisible. But perseverance paid off!
 
 
 I couldn't find any plain white voile, but this voile with stick figures appealed to me. And finally, I was happy to sew on my personal label, for what it's worth......
 
My daughter took some shocking photos of me wearing the dress. Well it's either that or I just do not photograph well, particularly at 8.30 at night and the day before a scheduled visit to the hairdresser.
As I finish off this blog, which has taken all of almost two months to complete, I at least have the satisfaction of having completed another dress - same challenge with the same assistant at the same fabric shop within the same time frame. It appears that holding myself accountable to someone with regard to completing a project works for me.
 My next post is of my absolute favourite dress I have made in 42 years of sewing.
Post coming up soon.

5 comments:

  1. Rianna, I am so sorry you lost your brother Stephen. A very sad time for you. Hugs from me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Carolyn...much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing post! You have a wonderful blog:)
    What about following each other on Instagram, Bloglovin, Twitter?..

    www.bloglovin.com/blog/3880191

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very good idea Irene....I have already tracked you down. And thank you for your kind comments. I lost the oomph forvmy blog after my brother died. But I have made quite a few items for my self and daughter.

      Delete
    2. Very good idea Irene....I have already tracked you down. And thank you for your kind comments. I lost the oomph forvmy blog after my brother died. But I have made quite a few items for my self and daughter.

      Delete